When Salt Lake City was first laid out, lots on alternate blocks would face north and south or east and west, thus there would be no houses facing each other on the opposite sides of the street. Instead, residents could enjoy the views of gardens and orchards across the street. Each lot would have a garden reaching from the rear of the house to the center of the block, approximately 300 feet.
Four ten-acre blocks were reserved for public use.
For a detailed look at a particular block layout by 1853, 1871-2, and an overhead view of that block as recreated on the Salt Lake model, click on the link below.