Mormon Trail AssociationMormon Trail Association 1866 Emigration

1866 Emigration
(Nebraska City Variant - Ft. Kearney - Ft. Laramie - Echo - Golden Pass Variant)
All ten Church trains followed the same route.

Outfit Station Departure Captain Souls Wagons Arrival in SLC
Wyoming, Neb. July 6 Thomas E. Ricks 251 46 Sept. 4
Wyoming, Neb. July 7 Samuel D. White 230 46 Sept. 5
Wyoming, Neb. July 13 Wm. Henry Chipman 354 60 Sept. 15
Wyoming, Neb. July 19 John D. Holladay 350 64 Sept. 25
Wyoming, Neb. July 25 Daniel Thompson 520 84 Sept. 29
Wyoming, Neb. Aug. 4 Peter Nebeker 400 62 Sept. 29
Wyoming, Neb. Aug. 2 Joseph S. Rawlins 400 65 Oct. 1
Wyoming, Neb. Aug. 8 Andrew H. Scott 300 49 Oct. 8
Wyoming, Neb. Aug. 4 Horton D. Haight @400 65 Oct. 15
Wyoming, Neb. Aug. 8 Abner Lowry 300 49 Oct. 22
but soon earned the less flattering moniker, "The Cholera Company of 1866, as perhaps as many as 100 persons in this group died of the disease.
    3505 590  

After arriving in New York most immigrants went to Castle Gardens where they met the Church Emigration Agent, Elder Thomas Taylor, who had experienced difficulty arranging transportation from New York to Wyoming, Nebraska because the railroads, wanting to profit from the Mormons, had asked an unusually high price. Taylor found a new route, several hundred miles father but much cheaper. They would have to travel in cattle cars part of the way. They went via freight steamer to New Haven, Connecticut, by train to Montreal, Canada, then on cattle cars alongside the St. Lawrence River, Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and St. Clair River. Then they ferried to Port Huron, Michigan. From here they went by rail to Chicago and Quincy, by boat to Hannibal, by rail to St. Joseph, and by boat to Wyoming, Nebraska Territory. The trip required about 8 days.

In the last company to make this route, many became ill with cholera on the cattle cars. They were too ill to sit up and were able to lie on the floor. Anna Helena Warnick died of the disease and was left dead on the station platform at Marcella, Michigan on Aug. 5. They continued across Illinois, the Mississippi River and across Missouri. Just before the train reached St. Joseph one of the cars took fire and with great exertion the sick were removed. Many of the sick and dying were left on the station platform at St. Joseph, including Anders Petter Warnick and Anna Christina Warnick who were sick. It was never learned what happened to them. At St. Joseph they went up the Missouri River to Wyoming, Nebraska. To breathe fresh air and drink pure water was a blessing. The ox-train they were to cross the plains with was waiting for them. Sickness and death plagued the company. Five more members of the Warnick family died. They arrived in Salt Lake City on Oct. 7. Only four of the original group of 11 plus one new born reached the Valley.

Near Fort Laramie officers from the Fort would visit and examine each company's arms. If the company was considered well enough armed to protect themselves from the Indians, the company was permitted to proceed.

Copyright 1999-2011 Mormon Trails Association, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Webmaster: Ron Andersen